Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Perry Battle in a Box

I have just started working on the contents of the Perrys' Battle in a Box.  I have finished a unit of zouaves, both troops of cavalry and the officer figures.  I am really pleased with how they are turning out so far.  This is a great deal if you are starting out in 28mm.  There are enough figures that you can fill a small table.  You also get a nice plastic farm house you can assemble and then several sections of fencing.  The rules that are included look fairly simple and call for 18 man units.  My only complaint about the set is that the distribution of the figures don't match up with coming up with precise 18 man units.  For example, there are 24 zouave figures.  So, unless I am going to have a mixed unit, I have some odd figures.  But this is a small thing in comparison with the many positives within this set.

Here are some pictures of what I have painted up thus far.

A zouave unit

/The Union cavalry troop

The Confederate cavalry troop

The two mounted officers.
There are no direction in the box on how to put together the models.  But I have had a lot of experience with plastics, so I didn't have a problem.  I thought putting the farm house might be a challenge, but came together with a little thought.

I am mounting the figures individually as I plan on one day passing all of this on to my grandsons when they are older.  This would be a perfect set to wake up to on a Christmas morning.  I'll probably add another box of cavalry to bring up both units to a total of 12.

This is going to be a fun project as long as I do it in bite sized pieces.  Stay tuned for updates.

2 comments:

  1. You have done a lovely job with those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I am just about to start work on mine.

    The number of figures you have is correct. You will get one entire Zouave unit plus another Zouave base of six. That base of six makes up one of the three bases of another. Formation.

    I spoke to Alan Perry about this and he said it was to represent that sometimes a regiment would have a single company of Zouave attached.

    ReplyDelete