Friday, July 20, 2018

Another Fun Game

Today I hosted six fine young men for a General de Brigade game in my garage. It was an experiment that I have to say was a spectacular success. A couple of moms had sons that had taken my class in past summers. But the venue for the class ended, and I thought my ability to offer a gaming experience to youngsters had as well. But where there is a will there is a way.  I had hoped we could find a suitable location, however that would have been expensive and logistically difficult. So I took a chance by offering to have the game in my garage. The pluses were that I could set up and take down at my convenience. There would be less wear and tear on my soldiers and terrain. The only negative was that it encroached on my privacy a bit, but we only used my deck and my garage and the kids were incredibly considerate.  I believe the experiment was a success.

The set up was very similar to the one I used the previous weekend. However, with six players I needed to spread things out a bit and get more figures on the table. I brought out my entire Russian corps of two infantry divisions and a cavalry division. The deployed across the whole length of the table, with pockets of reserves in support. Attacking were allied contingents of Bavarians, Poles, Germans and a brigade of Old Guard cavalry to even things out.  Here is what happened.

The beginning of the game. Bavarians set to attack the Russian right
Turn one. Bavarians and Poles advance in the center.

Turn One. The Russian right. Despite being held by only three battalions of jagers, two regiments of Cossacks and a 6lb battery, it held for the entire game.
Turn three. The Cossacks try to steal the initiative with a charge. It fell short, but it did force the Bavarian infantry into square, delaying what would have been an overwhelming attack.
The youthful inexperience of the allied players became apparent when all of their initial assaults were aimed at Russian gun positions.  Early on one of those critical events took place when a Polish lancer regiment survived the moral check after taking a blast of cannister from 6 Russian gun stands and closed with the battery. We were all certain that the battery would be defeated and the Russian center would be breached. It didn't happen. The Polish commander rolled low, and even with plus four in modifiers, lost the melee and had to retreat.  This scenario seemed to repeat itself over the next three turns.

Turn four. Confederation of the Rhine troops charge a Russian 6lb battery. Finally, on the third attempt, the gunners abandoned their guns and the flank was imperiled.

Turn four. Duchy of Warsaw troops are pummeled by cannons and muskets. Three Polish general would fall due to rolls of double six by the Russian commander. Unbelievable.
Turn seven. The Old Guard horse artillery, two batteries worth, finally get into action. One can only wonder how different things would have been if this had taken place earlier in the battle.

Turn eight. The empty space in the middle of the picture had previously been filled with three Russian cavalry regiments sent out to attack the Bavarians. Between charging solid squares of infantry and blasts from supporting artillery the brigade was forced to retire, ultimately failing a brigade morale test and leaving the battle all together.
Turn nine. A combined attack of solid infantry and superb cavalry finally crush the jager brigade on the Russian left.

Turn nine. Bavarian cavalry maneuver to attack a Russian battery. Fortunately, this charge was canceled as the horsemen were needed to shore up the allied middle.

Turn eleven. The Bavarians have been decimated in their attempts to turn the Russian right.

End of game. The Poles were totally unsuccessful in punching through their Russian counterparts. 
As the game concluded it was clear that the Russians had won the day. Though their left flank was under pressure, a second line of defense had been established along a road, the town in the center was secure, and much of the Russian infantry had been unscathed.  It was a really fun game.

On a more philosophical note, several times leading up to this day I was tempted to cancel it. But one thought always sealed the deal for me. How can I justify having so many painted soldiers and scores of pieces of detailed terrain if I am not willing to get out of my comfort zone and share it all with a new generation of gamers? The fact is I just can't. The good book says that it is more blessed to give than to receive; that is particularly true in this hobby of mine. I am thrilled to know that six kids had a great experience. Some of them may even continue on in this hobby years from now. I am exhausted, but in the best way possible.

3 comments:

  1. A lovely table and a very worthy idea, you just never know what buttons you press with people than can lead to a life long passion, whether it be photography, sport or wargaming. Providing opportunity is everything. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Duke! Your troops and table look fab and allowing a new generation to experience the hobby is a very worthy undertaking.

    ReplyDelete