Thursday, October 12, 2023

Scratch built stone walls for the Jacobite Rebellion

I am not adverse to spending money on this hobby. I have been fortunate to be able to more than finance my projects with commission work and selling off unused collections. However, I do not like to spend unnecessiarily. With my Jacobite project, I needed stone walls. I found some solid options online, but the shipping from the UK was almost more than the walls themselves. I found a couple of videos on YouTube on how to make walls out of polystyrene. I went to my local craft store and picked up an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet for $1.50 and set to work. This sheet was not nearly as maliable as the insulation you get at a hardware store, but that would have cost many times more. I cut the sheet into various lengths, each 3/4 of an inch high. The sections are 9", 4" and 2". I also made a corner section. It was fairly tedious trying to score in the stones into the polystyrene, but after awhile I was able to do it fairly quickly using and an exacto knife. I glued the sections onto cardboard and then spray painted them black. Once they werre dry I drybrushed with dark gray, light gray and tan. I flocked the cardboard bases and I had about five feet of wall sections. Clearly, they aren't as good as commercially made walls, but I am happy with them, especially the fact that they only cost me $1.50!
I also continued tinkering with my rule set. After three adjustments, I believe I have a good formula for resolving charges. Much will depend on who gets the initiative first, and how many activations they receive. I am allowing the defender to fire at the charge if the unit hasn't fired already. If it does so, however, it will receive the charge unloaded and suffer a -1 penalty on die rolls. In the picture below, four highland clans are attempting to come to grips with two government battalions. On the activation rolls, one clan was able to close with one regiment with another clan in support. To their left, another clan closed with the other government battalion which fired defensively, so it is unloaded, noted by the smoke. This charge was unsopported. The mele on the right resulted in a draw. The one on the right saw the redcoats beaten by a difference of four. This resulted in them having to withdraw 6" disordered. I felt it was a pretty realistic outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment